Saturday, April 25, 2009

The start of my long standing admiration for SRK....

First up let me assert that I am a 15 year old boy, and that is why I cannot say I have seen the phenomenal growth of the chirpy young kid from Rajinder Nagar, Delhi. He may not be a kid anymore but still is as young as ever, if that matters. But, what I will be writing is basically how I became an admirer of his and how he still continues to be my Idol from the Indian Film Industry.

Let me then, start, by narrating the incident which sowed the first seeds of his admiration in my mind. I have to say that the first film I watched of SRK in a theatre was Kuch Kuch Hota Hoi. I was a 5 year old toddler then, and therefore the scenes were SRK is shown mingling with his daughter, was especially appealing for me and it eventually made me feel that he was great with children. Although I was ignorant then, I realize now that KKHH kick started the process of me becoming a SRK admirer.

Another important factor which transformed me into a SRK fan, was that my Mother’s brother bears a striking resemblance to SRK, and that is why I always felt, during those days that I am interacting with King Khan (phrase coined much after then) at a daily basis. And this uncle of mine, also was an avid fan of SRK, so he used to watch every SRK film’s first, second and third show, which used to baffle me. I though with myself, “Is Mama mad?” This feeling was not only limited to me but every other family member was quite worried as well, and that too strikingly enough.

My Uncle used to see all those movies alone, without anybody accompanying him. My study pressure was a lot less then and hence my Mother asked him to take me along with him to one of those shows. As scheduled my mom I went along with Mama, to the first day second show of Baadshah. Keep in mind I was all of 6 then. The special effects and all the gadgets and gizmos mystified me. Come on, what else did a six year old want then? Only some magic and a little dose of Scooby Doo. Huh!

Looking back now, I feel Shahrukh would have been better off without doing that film. But that’s just a personal opinion.

As I enjoyed the movie, my Mom thought that the Best way to keep me off my naughtiness was to send me to a Shahrukh film with my Mama. And I and Mama willingly agreed.

Then started a time when I saw a lot of his movies one after the other. They were Josh, Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani, Mohabbatein and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. I was undergoing the process of development then, so I think those movies have definitely influenced my being. But not as much as his later films. Will talk about them later.

Josh made me look at life with a rough attitude, although that feeling has vanished now, the film still remains one of my favourites.

Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani enraged in me a feeling of patriotism to which I had been to alien before that. And Lagaan, along it that year turned me into a Patriot.

Mohabbatein started the engraving of a feeling of love for Music, which has multiplied manifolds in the next few years.

Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham is perhaps the most important as far as influence is concerned. My parents have never been the same for me again. I look at them with a lot more respect and love and a feeling of togetherness has also shown up in me.

I will continue with this and how SRK’s life and times have predisposed in me and has left in me a deep-seated mark in my mental and emotional set up of life, as a whole, in my next few posts.

Bye,
Dipanjan

No comments: